Monday, November 29, 2010

Too Much Information Assignment


Is the Internet Color Blind?
By: Courtney D. Marshall

                Courtney D. Marshall, PH.D, does an excellent job of raising awareness about how our society uses the Internet in more of a positive way than a negative one. She begins by discussing Pedro Zamora, a member of The Real World: San Francisco, fight with HIV/AIDS and how it affected the MTV nation. Bill Clinton suggested that even though Zamora passed away at the young age of twenty-two, he gave us an insight to people living with the devastating virus. Zamora’s story had Marshall questioning the media’s affect on the world, especially the American public in terms of identity. “Does having an abundance of information about race, gender and sexuality change the decisions we make about their importance” (Marshall 20)? As the paper continues, Marshall answers yes to the previous question. She says, “When we’re online, we don’t see color, gender, sexuality, or other identities” (Marshall 20). She believes the Internet has the ability to make us feel connected to the people within cyberspace regardless of their social identity—and I agree. I cannot remember a time when I’ve read something online and thought twice about what their race, gender or sexuality is. The Internet is a powerful medium and Marshall hopes that it will enhance and strengthen communities all over for the better.

7 comments:

  1. Camille, I also read this article and it had reached out to me. We can use the internet in a positive way and enable us to connect with people around the world. The way we reprsent ourselves in social networks will effect how other people percieve us. It is up to society, to make that connection with each other for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also read this article and it made me rethink how I use the Internet. The Internet is a powerful and fairly recent innovation that has begun to reshape our social interactions. It has become an escape for many people as well as a "place" to be anyone you want to be. There are several implications for this type of use and I agree with Marshall that it should be used to enrich our lives rather than maintain the pervasive inequalities we encounter daily out in the "real" world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also read this article and it was definitely eye opening! I never thought of the internet as an actual tool that connects culture's, I just never thought of it all that deeply. Cultures are created and shown throughout cyberspace, you might have to weed through what is actual information, but the internet is something that will continue to evolve and transform our way of life. I'm anxious to look back in 20 years to see what it's become...well not to anxious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I skipped out on reading this essay. I'll have to get to it sometime because it appears to be presenting the "other side of the coin" on the issue of internet anonymity. I usually think of shady message boards where people will say anything because they know that nobody will ever know who they really are. But this essay sounds like it shows a positive side to the exchange that goes on between people everywhere on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I chose to read this essay as well and am glad I did. So much of the literature today about the internet and social networking is negative, it's good to hear the positive aspects. It is amazing how one common interest can connect so many people of different cultures and backgrounds through the internet. It's exciting to watch the evolution of an increasingly global economy right before our eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also read this essay and found it quite interesting myself. I think it’s important to point out the positive aspects of the internet, mainly social networks. All too often social networks are criticized for a variety of reasons. I think this is a standard practice of the media, especially when something new comes along. Society wants to push new technologies backwards and not allow them to move forward. At the end of the day, social networks are an extremely effective tool, and when used properly, they can and will benefit our society.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you have a valid point that the internet has created a medium to allow all types of people a place without being judged, but I don't necessarily agree. Youtube had become a place to watch videos mainly to laugh at other people - most are harmless, but plenty of them are just making fun of people. Perhaps the internet focuses less on race and sexuality and more on personality?

    ReplyDelete